Srinakharinwirot University Dental Journal (SWU Dent J)
SWU Dent J is a dental journal of Srinakharinwirot University established since 2005. The online version has been published since 2022. We are pleased to welcome the authors to submit the articles in oral sciences and other related areas. SWU Dent J. publishes (Online) two issues per year, January-June and July-December.
Purpose of the Journal
1. To publish the original research articles, literature reviews, case reports in oral sciences and other
2. To introduce new knowledge and observations related to the any aspects of oral and dental cares
as well as other healthcare are especially encouraged.
3. To communicate academically between dentists and others in related areas.
Types of Articles
SWU Dent J publishes the following types of articles:
1. Original Articles report results of original research in dental and oral sciences as well as other
related fields (preclinical, clinical, or translational). The presented work must not be published
2. Review Articles describe and evaluate previously published materials in a given topic, diagnosis, or
treatment in order to suggest new approaches or ideas.
3. Case Reports of rare or unusual cases, or treatment with good long-term follow-up information,
particularly in areas in which good statistics on results of treatment are needed.
4. Miscellaneous Other manuscript that reports useful information could be written in a form of “Letter
to editor” or “Brief communications”.
All abstracts must be submitted in English. Manuscript written in Thai and/or Thai authors need to include abstract in both languages. Authors of non-native English speakers should consider their work reviewed by either a native English speaker or academic proofreading services prior to submission.
All submissions must include a cover letter signed by all authors. Cover letters should certify the
research is original, not being simultaneously considered for publication elsewhere, and free of conflict of interest. The format of cover letter is available at the end of this document.
In addition, title page should be submitted. Title page includes title of the manuscript, name, degree and
affiliation of all authors. Moreover, mailing address, telephone number and email address of corresponding author should be included.
Submission can be done online via SWU eJournals System (OSJ) at
or the authors can send the manuscript and related document to
Manuscripts must adhere to the following instructions or they will be rejected before undergoing peer review.
• Prepare the manuscript in Microsoft Word (docx) using Cordia new font 16. Leave a one-inch
margin on all sides. Do not right justify.
• Manuscript must be done in plain and simple style format as possible.
• Number all manuscript pages consecutively in the upper right-hand corner (text and references,
followed by illustrations on separate pages).
• Manuscript length (including all references, tables, figures) should be no more than 15 pages
(standard A4 21.1 x 29.7 cm page size).
• All figures, illustrations, graphs, and tables must be provided in the text and should include
title and foot note. In addition, explanation for abbreviation and symbols is required.
• Identifying teeth by their name, rather than a number or letter. Be consistent throughout the
manuscript. If it is not possible to use the name, use FDI two-digit system after which their
full names have been firstly mentioned in the text.
• Follow internationally accepted rules and conventions: use the international system of units
(SI). If other units are mentioned, please give their equivalent in SI.
• Abbreviation should be explained in the parenthesis when first used. Avoid using abbreviation
in title and abstract.
Please order the manuscript as follows: Title, Abstract, Introduction, Materials and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, Acknowledgements, References, Start each section on a separate page.
• The title page should contain:
1. Title: a concise and informative title (do not include numbers, acronyms, abbreviations).
2. Corresponding Author must provide: full name, complete address, phone, fax, and a valid
e-mail address, which will be used for all communication with the journal.
3. Author information including;
3.1 Full name of all authors
3.2 Complete mailing address for each author
3.3 Degrees (e.g. DDS, PhD)
3.4 Affiliation (e.g. Department of Stomatology, Faculty of Dentistry, Srinakharinwirot University)
• 250 words.
• Original article : abstract Should include as follows: Objectives, Methods, Results, and Conclusions.
All abstracts must be submitted in English. Manuscript written in Thai need to include abstract in both languages.
Keywords: Up to 3-6 keywords should be provided, and selected from Medical Subject Headings (MeSH). Information on the selection of keywords: see http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/MBrowser.html.
• Briefly explain the existing knowledge, and demonstrate the problems leading to the main
objectives of the research.
Materials and methods
• Describe the procedures in detail.
• If human subjects or related specimens (including teeth, saliva, tissues) have been involved
in the research, please state evidence of IRB or local ethical committee approval, including
an obtaining of informed consent. When laboratory animals are used, inform the level of
institutional review allowing for human practices, as appropriated.
• Provide names and sources of all instruments or commercial products e.g.
- Instrument e.g. Universal Testing machine (Shimadzu, EZtest, Japan)
- Commercial product e.g. Polyether (Impregum, 3MESPE, USA)
• Statistics used in the manuscript should be clearly demonstrated.
• Report data directly with complete statistical analysis.
• Always describe statistic values with standard errors or standard deviations, including
particular degree of probability level e.g. p = 0.026 or p < 0.05
• Tables and figures should be numbered in the order in which they are described and cited
in the text.
• Carefully explain and evaluate data.
• Compare with other findings particularly what causes the difference.
• Suggest directions for future research.
Conclusion (if included)
• State shortly the most important finding of the research.
• Do not repeat Results or Discussion.
Acknowledgements (if applicable)
• Inform all assistances from individuals as appropriated.
• Report all sources of grant and other support for the project.
• All reference must be written in English.
• Citations should be numbered consecutively in parentheses as they appear in the text and
they should present after punctuation e.g. text (1,4-7,9,10).
• Examples of reference citation formats:
- Journal article:
Aroonrerk N, Pichyangkul S, Yongvanitchit K, Wisetchang M, Sa-Ard-Iam N, Sirisinha S, et al. Generation of gingival T cell lines/clones specific with Porphyromonas gingivalis pulsed dendritic cells from periodontitis patients. J Periodontal Res. 2003;38(3):262-8.
- Books/Chapter in a book:
Profit WR, Fields HW. Contemporary orthodontics. 3rded. St. Louis: Mosby; 2000.
Yamada KM. Fibronectic and other cell interactive glycoproteins. In: Hay ED, editor. Cell biology of extra-cellular matrix. 2nded. New York: Plenum Press; 1991. p.111-46.
Kerdmanee K. In Vitro Study of Er,Cr:YSGG Laser in Adjunct to Ultrasonic Root Debridement on The Attachment of Human Periodontal Ligament Fibroblasts [Master thesis, M.S. (Periodontology)]. Bangkok: Srinakharinwirot University; 2015.
- Journal article on the Internet (Article with digital object identifier)
Lam-ubol A, Rungsiyanont S, Vacharotayangul P, Sappayatosok K, Chankanka O. Oral manifestations, salivary flow rates and Candida species in Thai HIV-infected patients. J Clin Exp Dent. 2019;11(2):e138-45. doi: 10.4317/jced.55384.
- Database on the Internet
National Statistical Office. The 2013 survey on health and welfare [Internet]. Bangkok: Ministry of Information and Communication Technology; 2017 [cited 2017 March]. Available from: URL: http://service.nso.go.th/nso/nsopublish/themes/files/healthy/healthRep56.pdf. (in Thai).
- Scientific or technical report (Issued by performing agency)
Chaiwerawattana A, Laowahutanont P, editors. Hospital based cancer registry annual Report 2013. Bangkok: Information and Technology Division; 2015. ISBN 978-616-11-2581-3. Sponsored by the National Cancer Institute.
The reference style of the journal follows the format suggested by “International Committee of Medical
Journal Editors Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Sample
Abbreviations of journal names should flow the forms in Index Medicus, National Library of Medicine (NLM)
Tables and Figures
• Table design and layout must be plain and simple as possible
• All tables must be inserted in the text.
•Use explanatory footnotes if possible. In the table or title, indicate the order of footnotes with lower-case letters in superscript. If needed in footnotes, cite the short form of references in parentheses.
• All figures must be inserted in the text.
• Clearly numbered files containing figures to indicate their placement in the text
• Illustrations, graphs and figures must be provided as TIFF or JPEG files (8.9 x 16 cm) with a minimum resolution of 600 dpi.
• Radiographic images should be prepared by taking a photo in black and white from original films, or using digital imaging when applicable. Put magnification markers directly on the micrographs.
All submissions will be subjected to double blind peer-review by at least 3 independent reviewers from different institutions which are the experts in the field. The article will be accepted for publication when at least 2 reviewers agree. Please note that the authors agree to transfer copyright to SWU Dent J on submission, if the manuscript is accepted for publication. Attempts to reproduce parts of the article may be done with written permission from SWU Dent J.
Conflicts of Interest
Authors must state all possible conflicts of interest in the manuscript, including financial, consultant, institutional and other relationships that might lead to bias or a conflict of interest. If there is no conflict of interest, this should also be explicitly stated as none declared. All sources of funding should be acknowledged in the manuscript. All relevant conflicts of interest and sources of funding should be included on the title page of the manuscript with the heading “Conflicts of Interest and Source of Funding”.
Ethical and Legal Considerations and Copyright Transfer
A submitted manuscript must be an original contribution not previously published (except as an abstract or a preliminary report), must not be under consideration for publication elsewhere, and, if accepted, must not be published elsewhere in similar form, in any language, without the consent of SWU Dent J. Each person listed as an author is expected to have participated in the study to a significant extent. All authors must sign and submit the copyright transfer letter together with journal submission. Notice: Author guidelines is available at the journal website http://ejournals.swu.ac.th/index.php/swudentj.
- Publication Ethics SWU Dent J.
- Manuscript Template for Publication in SWU Dent J.
- The cover letter formate